The Mossman region’s most outstanding farmers were recognised last night (14 April), when Mackay Sugar’s Mossman Mill held its annual Mossman Region Productivity Awards.
Approximately 80 people attended the event, held at the Mossman Bowls Club, with 14 awards presented to farmers from within the Mossman Mill cane supply network.
Mackay Sugar Chairman Andrew Cappello said the event enabled Mackay Sugar to formally acknowledge farmers that have achieved outstanding results in farm productivity within the Mossman cane supply region.
“Farming can be extremely challenging, with weather, sugar pricing and various other influences affecting farmers’ livelihoods, so it’s important that we pause to recognise those who are not only dealing with the typical challenges of farm life, but are also going the extra mile to improve their productivity.
“Productivity is, of course, extremely important to our company, because it facilitates growth and ultimately advances the prosperity of our stakeholders.
“Our 2016 award recipients exemplify the commitment, resilience and innovation that sustains our local sugar industry,” Mr Cappello said.
This year’s winners (for the 2015 season) included:
- In Appreciation for on Farm Research 2015: Brie Brie Estate
- Best Average Producer 2015: C Fasano & Co
- Young Grower Award 2015: Brenton Eagle
- Sustainable Management Practices Award 2015: Puglisi Farming
- Canegrowing Excellence Award: C Fasano & Co
- Best Presented Farm 2015: Puglisi Farming
- A full list of Mossman award recipients (including ‘Best Productivity’ for zones) is available via the Mackay Sugar website: www.mkysugar.com.au (under Business > Cane Supply).