The Mackay region’s farming excellence was showcased on Friday night (8 April), when Mackay Sugar held its annual Productivity Awards.
Over 240 people attended the event, held at Mackay’s St Patrick’s Hall, with more than 30 awards presented to farmers from within the Mackay Sugar cane supply network.
Mackay Sugar Chairman Andrew Cappello welcomed guests and acknowledged the importance of recognising and celebrating the successes of local farmers.
“The Mackay Sugar Productivity Awards provide us the opportunity to formally acknowledge those that have achieved outstanding results in farm productivity within our region.
“Farming can be extremely challenging, with weather, sugar pricing and various other influences affecting farmers’ livelihoods, so it’s very important that we pause to recognise those who are not only dealing with the typical challenges of farm life, but are also going the extra mile to improve their productivity.
“Productivity is, of course, extremely important to our company, because it facilitates growth and ultimately advances the prosperity of our stakeholders.
“Our 2016 award recipients exemplify the commitment, resilience and innovation that sustains our local sugar industry,” Mr Cappello said.
This year’s winners (for the 2015 season) include:
- In Appreciation for on Farm Research Award: Ray Abela
- Harvesting Award – Under 30,000 tonnes Award: Binstead Brothers
- Harvesting Award – 30,000 to 50,000 tonnes Award: Anthony Ferlazzo
- Harvesting Award – Over 50,000 tonnes Award: Andrew Deguara
- Young Grower Award: Tim Bone
- Sustainable Management Practices Award: Graeme Blackburn
- Best Average Producer Over Five Years Award: Kajavi Pty Ltd ATF; The Kevin Lay Family Trust
- Cane Growing Excellence Award: Mimelyn Pty Ltd ATF; The Vassallo Family Trust
- A full list of award recipients (including ‘Best Productivity’ for zones 1 – 24) is available via the Mackay Sugar website: www.mkysugar.com.au (under Business > Cane Supply).